1 dead, several injured in Brownsville apartment fire

BROWNSVILLE - Officials say one person has died and several others were injured in a massive apartment fire in Brownsville this morning.

Police say 70-year-old Nicholas Claudette was taken to the hospital, but did not survive. Claudette's daughter says she was visiting a friend and that the two go to church together.

FDNY officials say 130 firefighters responded to the three-alarm fire at 1142 Lenox Road. They say the fire broke out just after 6 a.m. on the second floor of a four-story apartment building, before spreading to the third floor. A woman who lived in the apartment where the fire started said she saw sparks fly from her space heater.

The Red Cross along with the New York City Housing Authority are working to get the dozens of families now homeless into new homes.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Residents are concerned about the safety of items 1 The Buzz: Safety concerns in wake of 8-year-old boy's death
Kevin Reilly, 8, died after a heavy planter 2 Vigil remembers 8-year-old killed by fallen planter box
A kid from the Bronx is one of 3 Actor from the Bronx stars in '13 Reasons Why'
4 Man shot in head during Williamsburg drive-by shooting
News 12 asked viewers what they thought of 5 Connecticut Talks Trump: First 100 Days

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE