BROWNSVILLE - Officials say one person has died and several others were injured in a massive apartment fire in Brownsville this morning.
Police say 70-year-old Nicholas Claudette was taken to the hospital, but did not survive. Claudette's daughter says she was visiting a friend and that the two go to church together.
FDNY officials say 130 firefighters responded to the three-alarm fire at 1142 Lenox Road. They say the fire broke out just after 6 a.m. on the second floor of a four-story apartment building, before spreading to the third floor. A woman who lived in the apartment where the fire started said she saw sparks fly from her space heater.
The Red Cross along with the New York City Housing Authority are working to get the dozens of families now homeless into new homes.