BROOKLYN - Three sanitation workers were hospitalized after being burned in an acid spill that occurred near Brooklyn Technical High School. One victim suffered severe burns. One other sanitation worker and a custodian were brought to the hospital for burns and inhaling strong fumes.

Emergency workers arrived on the scene to neutralize the acid, which came from garbage that was being picked up from the high school. Officials identified the acid as Muriatic used to clean brick, stone and concrete.

It is not known how the acid wound up in the high school's garbage.