BROOKLYN - A massive fire tore through an apartment building on Eastern Parkway around noon Saturday, displacing three families.

Firefighters say the blaze started inside an apartment when a power strip caught fire and quickly spread on a carpet.

Four people sustained minor injuries.

Tenant Alberto Alexander Jr. said that the fire could have been "10 times worse than it is."

"My mother could've been in bed and who knows what could've occurred," he said. "Fortunately, I was there and I was able to get her out. She's 86 years old, so I'm thankful she's still here with us."