BAY RIDGE - Students at a school in Bay Ridge were sent home early Monday after fumes from a cleaning chemical spread through the air.

Fire officials say eight children and one adult at Holy Angels Catholic Academy on 74th Street in Bay Ridge were transported to Lutheran Medical Center around 10 a.m. after inhaling potentially dangerous fumes used to clean a clogged drain.

They say 21 other people refused medical treatment.

Employees from a disability center next to the school say they had complained about the smell of sewage from last Thursday, but nothing was done.

Parents tell News 12 they were notified of the situation Monday morning. The parents say they were not given many details, but say they heard that the smell was coming from a bathroom sink somewhere on the second or third floor.

School officials say the school was temporarily closed, but after an investigation, the school is safe for students and staff to go back.

The patients in the hospital are all expected to be OK.