7 children killed in fire laid to rest in Israel

Three girls and four boys from the Sassoon family passed away early Saturday.

Three girls and four boys from the Sassoon family passed away early Saturday. (3/23/15)

BROOKLYN - Seven young siblings killed in a Midwood house fire were mourned and laid to rest in Israel. 

The children arrived in Israel for burial Monday morning, just a day after hundreds of residents in their ultra-Orthodox Jewish community in Brooklyn gathered to say goodbye to the three girls and four boys from the Sassoon family. A prayer vigil was also held Sunday night as a memorial of flowers grows outside the family's Bedford Avenue home. 

Their father, Gabriel Sassoon, described his children, ages 5 to 16, as "angels" who brought joy to his life. He was not home when the fire erupted. The children's mother and a 14-year-old daughter survived, but remain hospitalized in critical condition. 

Fire officials say the early morning fire on Saturday was caused by a malfunctioning hot plate left on in the kitchen for the Sabbath, a common modern method of obeying tradition prohibiting use of fire on the holy day. Many Jews are now reconsidering the practice. 

Authorities say the kids were asleep on the second floor when the fire broke out, and there were no working smoke alarms in the home. The tragedy is a sad reminder to ensure that you have working detectors. 

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

News 12 Brooklyn hit the streets to ask 1 Word on the Street: GPS devices
At least six people have been arrested and 2 Six arrested, 4 more sought in Coney Island gang assault video
3 VIDEO: Brooklyn Botanic Garden to host annual Sakura Matsuri Festival
News 12 Long Island has won the regional 4 News 12 Long Island wins regional Edward R. Murrow Award
Sea Cliff's Troy Ramey was voted off 'The 5 Elisa's Entertainment for 4/26

advertisement | advertise on News 12

More News

Seven siblings of the Sassoon family in Midwood Complete coverage: Children killed in house fire

Seven young siblings passed away when flames broke out in the kitchen of their Midwood

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE