8-year-old boy killed in Bedford Avenue fire

Officials say there were no working smoke detectors

Officials say there were no working smoke detectors in the two-story home.

BROOKLYN

An 8-year-old boy was killed Sunday during an early morning fire in Brooklyn.
 
EMS officials say the blaze started at around 3 a.m. at 2773 Bedford Ave. The boy was found unconscious inside the two-story home after the flames were put out and was later pronounced dead on the way to the hospital.
 
The FDNY says the fire was caused by a space heater placed too close to combustibles. Emergency responders say there were no working smoke detectors in the home.

 

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Police say they're investigating after a body was 1 Police: Man found dead inside vehicle
2 Neighborhood Brief for April 23
Police are searching for the suspect who they 3 Police search for suspect in string of burglaries
Teens, parents and community organizations marched from the 4 Organizers march to bring awareness to teen dating violence
Hundreds of New Yorkers gathered Saturday for the 5 New Yorkers get spicy at 5th annual Hot Sauce Expo

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE