Adrienne Mitchell dies in fire on Georgia Avenue in East New York
BROOKLYN - A woman has died following an overnight fire in a six-story East New York apartment building.
Officials say two unresponsive people were found inside a second-floor apartment at 390 Georgia Ave. at around 3:30 a.m.
The 59-year-old woman, Adrienne Mitchell, was pronounced dead. The second victim, a 47-year-old male, is listed in critical condition at Brookdale Hospital.
Read More: Brooklyn Top Stories
A total of seven people were inside the building at the time, and the FDNY says one of them had to jump from a second-floor window to escape the heavy smoke and flames.
Fire officials say an overloaded power strip and electrical cord started the blaze.
Mitchell's family told News 12 Brooklyn that she was just weeks away from celebrating her 60th birthday and said they were planning a big party for her.