Apartment fire leaves family without electricity

A family in Brooklyn says they are scared for their safety after being left without power following a fire in their apartment.

Valerie Rose, a tenant at the SurfSide Gardens NYCHA apartments, says that a fire broke out in her family's apartment in their fuse box.

Valerie Rose, a tenant at the SurfSide Gardens NYCHA apartments, says that a fire broke out in her family's apartment in their fuse box. (12/27/15)

BROOKLYN - A family in Brooklyn says they are scared for their safety after being left without power following a fire in their apartment.

Valerie Rose, a tenant at the SurfSide Gardens NYCHA apartments, says that a fire broke out in her family's apartment in their fuse box.

"I called emergency services," Rose says. "They said I should have called 911 first. We shouldn't have to live like this in NYCHA."

Rose's family says they don't have electricity and aren't able to cook anything.

They say if the fuse box isn't repaired soon, a new fire could spark.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Officials believe the drug ring brought heroin, cocaine, 1 New drug furanyl-fentanyl hits Brooklyn streets
Students, faculty and staff are calling on the 2 Students march to fight CUNY tuition hikes
Wells Fargo is rolling out cardless ATMs where 3 Word on the Street: Paying by phone
Wells Fargo is rolling out cardless ATMs where 4 Word on the Street: Cardless ATMs
A $72 million project to modernize three R 5 $72 M subway revival project underway in Brooklyn

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE