BROOKLYN - With temperatures falling and it finally feeling like winter in Brooklyn, the FDNY is trying to ensure residents are as safe as possible when heating their homes.

The FDNY says more than 33 percent of fires occur in the winter. Home heaters are a leading cause of fires, and the FDNY says if you're using a space heater, always make sure to never use an extension cord. You should always unplug and turn it off when leaving your home or going to bed.

The FDNY also advises residents to never use an oven or stove for heat.

According to the FDNY, most fatal fires occur in homes without a working smoke detector, so it advises all residents to make sure their smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.