BK family sues MTA over loved one's train death

BROOKLYN - A Brooklyn family is demanding answers and money from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) after a relative was killed by a subway train last year.

The family says 24-year-old Briant Rowe was killed by a 5 train at the New Kirk Avenue station when he climbed into the tunnel on Nov. 19, 2011.

Rowe?s relatives say his death was avoidable because the token booth clerk saw him enter the tunnel. His body was found an hour and a half after crews started searching for him.

The family is suing for $50 million, but says it really wants the MTA to change its protocols for searching for people who are seen entering the tunnels.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

A fast-moving fire killed five people, including three 1 3 children among victims in New York City house fire
The New York City nonprofit Guardian Angels stepped 2 Guardian Angels increase patrols in Coney Island
3 Neighborhood Brief for April 23
Suffolk fire officials say a house was gutted 4 House gutted by overnight fire in Oakdale
Fashion, Art, & Design held their seasonal pop-up 5 Pop-up marketplace features goods, art made in BK

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE