BROOKLYN - Brooklyn students and community groups took their fight to keep vital after-school programs in the borough to the steps of City Hall Tuesday.

The New York City Youth Alliance says about 15 Brooklyn programs were notified last week that their federal funding would be cut. Protesters say that means the programs will probably end during 2007, sending thousands of Brooklyn parents scrambling for after-school alternatives. Parents worry students will miss out on the benefits of activities like sports and homework help.

The funding was provided by the federal No Child Left Behind Act. Groups are appealing to Governor Eliot Spitzer (D-NY) and New York education officials to restore the money. A spokesperson for Spitzer says the governor will look into the matter.

Related Information:U.S. Dept. of Education