BROOKLYN - At least nine people were taken to the hospital due to carbon monoxide at the Brooklyn Market Terminal in Canarsie. 

Commanding Officer John Scotch II, whose office is less than 100 yards away, was first to the scene at East 83rd Street and Chase Court after someone came to his EMS station to report that another person had passed out. 

Scotch says he ran over to the market and his carbon monoxide detector immediately went off, registering a dangerously high level of 150 ppm. 

Everyone was evacuated and a total of 31 employees were evaluated. Everyone is expected to be OK, including those taken for further treatment. 

Workers say it's believed that the carbon monoxide was leaking from a forklift, but that has not been confirmed by authorities.