CO leak forces evacuations in Bed-Stuy

A carbon monoxide leak forced tenants out of their building in Bedford-Stuyvesant Thursday morning.Armando Tafaro, who lives at 140 Ralph Ave., says he smelled gas

BROOKLYN - A carbon monoxide leak forced tenants out of their building in Bedford-Stuyvesant Thursday morning.

Armando Tafaro, who lives at 140 Ralph Ave., says he smelled gas and later discovered that the boiler in the basement was vibrating.

Firefighters who arrived on the scene evacuated the residents and shut off the gas. They say the boiler?s exhaust pipe cracked, leaking carbon monoxide. Tenants say they have CO detectors in their apartments, but they didn?t go off.

According to the Department of Buildings? Web site, the owner of the building has been receiving violations for the faulty boiler for the last three years.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Dozens of people were arrested across the borough 1 Dozens arrested in 'Operation Hardball' drug takedown
Dozens of senior citizens at an East New 2 Mini horses stir up spirits at nursing home
The tree fell on tracks that carry the 3 Tree falls on tracks at Parkside Avenue train station
4 Word on the Street: 'As Young As You Feel Day'
At least one person was injured after a 5 FDNY: 1 injured after 2-alarm fire breaks out at Brooklyn building

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE