Cuomo: Sandy blamed for at least 15 deaths in New York

NEW YORK - Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) announced that at least 15 New Yorkers have died as a result of Hurricane Sandy.

The governor said that hundreds of other lives were saved thanks to the extraordinary efforts of the NYPD, state police, National Guard solider and other first responders.

Cuomo added that Sandy has been the inverse of the tropical storms Irene and Lee, which raked upstate and largely spared the metro area last year. This time the damage is concentrated around the city and its transit system.

He says he hopes Wall Street will open Wednesday, along with John F. Kennedy International Airport. LaGuardia Airport will remain closed because of extensive damage.

AP wire services contributed to this report

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

The victim, a man in his 20s, was 1 Man shot in head during Williamsburg drive-by shooting
Three of the five children of slain first 2 Children of slain first responder announce Jets draft pick
More than 200 Brooklyn residents received a goody 3 Expecting moms attend massive baby shower in E. Flatbush
Police say the victim sustained multiple lacerations and 4 Police release sketch of man found dead in Massapequa Preserve
More than 2,000 people took part in the 5 Thousands attend NYPD Cares 5K for kids with disabilities

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE