Cypress Hills family's home nearly destroyed by flames

A family in Cypress Hills is picking up the pieces Monday after a fire nearly destroyed its home.Fire officials say the blaze broke out at

CYPRESS HILLS - A family in Cypress Hills is picking up the pieces Monday after a fire nearly destroyed its home.

Fire officials say the blaze broke out at the Grand Avenue home around 10 p.m. Sunday. Investigators believe the fire was due to an electrical short circuit. One 14-year-old boy suffered a leg injury after jumping from a second-floor window. All family members were able to get out safely. Four were taken to hospitals with non-life threatening injuries.

At least 20 family members lived inside the home. While some family members tried to salvage what they could from the house, others are counting their blessings no lives were lost. The family is staying with relatives until it finds new permanent housing.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Bay Ridge held its annual St. Patrick's Day 1 Bay Ridge holds annual St. Patrick's Day parade
News 12's Elisa DiStefano and Newsday's Anne Bratskeir 2 Spring fashion: All about the sleeves
As News 12 has reported, Haste shot and 3 Officer quits to avoid firing after shooting of unarmed teen
News 12's Lily Stolzberg finds out what men 4 On the Spot: Beauty Products
As News 12 has reported, Haste shot and 5 Officer quits to avoid firing after shooting of unarmed teen

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE