CANARSIE - Officials say seven kids were taken to the hospital as a precaution this afternoon after a gas leak at a Canarsie day care center.

Fire officials say they were called to the day care center on Avenue J after an employee called complaining of a strong smell of gas.  They say one worker was complaining of throat irritations and fire crews immediately removed the children from the premises.

Firefighters were able to ventilate the building and deemed it safe for workers and the children to return.

Neighboring buildings were also checked by fire crews and they say no other evacuations were needed.