FORT GREENE - Neighbors and friends are in mourning after a fatal apartment fire in Fort Greene claimed the life of Curtis Hodges yesterday.

Officials say a kitchen fire broke out in an apartment building on Portland Avenue around 3:30 p.m.

Investigators say firefighters found Hodges suffering from cardiac arrest when they arrived and rushed him to Brookdale Hospital but doctors were unable to save him.

Neighbors and friends say Hodges was active in the community and that they won't forget the kindness he showed to the neighborhood.