EAST NEW YORK - Electricity is back on this morning at Unity Plaza in East New York, after a manhole fire shut it off for several hours yesterday.

Tenants at 560 Blake Ave. were forced out onto the street after they smelled gas in the building.

A Con Edison spokesperson says underground electrical cables failed, causing smoke to spew from a manhole. Carbon monoxide levels rose in the building's basement, and the power was shut off.

Tenants tell News 12 that they have previously smelled gas in their building and have complained to the New York City Housing Authority about the issue.

NYCHA says there were no reported injuries. A Con Ed spokesperson says electrical cables can fail if it's too hot, but that wasn't necessarily the cause in this case.