Families homeless after electrical cord ignites inferno

A blaze in Bedford-Stuyvesant left at least seven families homeless and sent several firefighters to the hospital Tuesday with minor injuries.Residents at 145 Monroe St.

BEDFORD-STUYVESANT - A blaze in Bedford-Stuyvesant left at least seven families homeless and sent several firefighters to the hospital Tuesday with minor injuries.

Residents at 145 Monroe St. say they awoke to smoke, flames and people yelling "fire." The flames were so intense that the heat blew out some windows. Two homes were affected.

The fire department has determined that an electrical cord under a bed started the fire. Darrell Carter managed to escape the fire that started in his bedroom, along with several other families.

The Red Cross is assisting displaced residents. "This is gonna be hard," said tenant Christine Hook. "I guess it's gonna be a new life. We don?t have no where to go, nothing to do."

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

VIDEO: Discovery of human remains in freezer shocks 1 VIDEO: Discovery of human remains in freezer shocks neighbors
Pauline Garner says she has been sleeping on 2 NYCHA tenant without furniture after ceiling leak
Blossom Ice Cream. 3 Fuhgeddaboudit Food: Blossom Ice Cream
The once-bustling Moore Street Market has fallen on 4 Vendors hope city will lift Moore Street Market
Chopper 12 over Belt Parkway brush fire 5 Chopper 12 over Belt Parkway brush fire

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE