Fatal Flatbush fire raises questions about faulty smoke detectors

Days after a fatal fire ripped through a Flatbush apartment, tenants are questioning whether the building?s smoke detectors ever worked.The smell of smoke still wafts

FLATBUSH - Days after a fatal fire ripped through a Flatbush apartment, tenants are questioning whether the building?s smoke detectors ever worked.

The smell of smoke still wafts through the halls of 1809 Albemarle Rd. after police say a toddler playing with matches started the fire Friday. Residents say they didn?t hear smoke alarms and they want management to check if they are working.

Sandra Stephens, 45, died in the blaze. Authorities say her 2-year-old son accidentally set a mattress on fire. According to officials, the toddler was burned over more than half his body. Several other relatives who were staying with Stephens also suffered injuries.

Related Information

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Barre originates from ballet, and similarly aims to 1 Ready, Set, Fit: Barre
The MTA announced the 3 station in East 2 MTA: 3 train station to reopen in March
Three people are accused of breaking into the 3 3 accused of breaking into Brooklyn laundromat
Tensions are high for some public school parents 4 Bushwick parents calling out DOE for charter school plans
An 8-year-old who has shown his appreciation for 5 8-year-old spreads police appreciation message

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE