THE BRONX - Fire officials say the cause of a blaze that killed two girls and injured at least 10 others in the Bronx was sparked by burning incense left unattended.

Officials say the two girls, 18-month-old Amanda Jabie and 2-year-old Jannubi Jabie, died after being rushed to a hospital in critical condition with third-degree burns.

The fire began in a third-floor apartment of the Butler Houses on Webster Avenue in Claremont at about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.

FDNY Deputy Chief Gary Rocco said firefighters found heavy smoke and fire in the apartment.

Seven other people and three firefighters suffered minor injuries.

Police say the children were left home alone at the time of the fire while their mother was across the street at a laundromat.

Witnesses say the mother ran back toward the apartment once she realized there was a fire, but collapsed to the ground when she could not get inside. 

The blaze was brought under control in less than an hour.

Officials also say there were no working fire alarms inside the unit.