FDNY: Hoverboard catches fire inside Crown Heights apartment building

A brand new hoverbaord caught fire inside a Crown Heights apartment building Tuesday, according to fire officials.

A brand new hoverbaord caught fire inside a Crown Heights apartment building Tuesday, according to fire officials. (12/30/15)

CROWN HEIGHTS - A brand-new hoverboard caught fire inside a Crown Heights apartment building Tuesday, according to fire officials.

They are warning residents to think twice before purchasing the trendy items. 

"I would not plug one in in my home," says FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro. "Luckily the people smelled smoke and called the fire department, and no one was hurt."

The FDNY says the board was charging for two hours before it burst into flames, which spread through a fifth-floor hallway.

This is the second hoverboard to catch fire in New York City this week, officials say.

"It will happen again, [and] it's happened before," Nigro says. "I wouldn't do anything to encourage people to have these."

Leonora Mendoza, a resident of the Crown Heights building, echoed the commissioner's sentiment.

"Perhaps return it for a refund," Mendoza says. "Purchase something else more safe."

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

1 VIDEO: News conference from Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office
News 12 talks to viewers about how dating 2 Word on the Street: Dating apps and self-esteem
A Borough Park school is preparing students for 3 P.S. 105 students learn disaster preparedness
The demolition of a decades-old roller hockey rink 4 Kensington roller rink demolition begins

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE