HOMECREST - A boy who lost his little brother and mother due to a fire in their illegal Homecrest apartment died Wednesday, according to a family spokesperson.

The spokesperson says the 2-year-old victim suffered smoke inhalation and burns in the fire at 2252 E. 15th Street Monday. The boy's 1-year-old brother, Ivan Liu, was declared dead at Coney Island Hospital shortly after the blaze. The children's mother, 26-year-old Samily Chan, died earlier in the week. An uncle, who was also trapped in the apartment, was transported to the hospital in serious condition.

News 12 Brooklyn has learned six people were living in the illegal apartment. The Red Cross has placed the remaining relatives in a hotel. City Council member Michael Nelson is working with the Metropolitan Council on Jewish Poverty to find temporary housing for the surviving family members.

Related information: