BROOKLYN - A 2-year-old boy who was rescued by firefighters from a blaze in a Marine Park home remains in a medically induced coma, but is in slightly better condition, according to his aunt.

Officials say the fire started at around 1:15 a.m. Monday at a home near the corner of Avenue P and East 37th Street.

Rescuers found Chase Pierre in a pile of clothes beside a burning mattress. They rushed the toddler to Staten Island Hospital.

Monday Night, Chase's aunt told News 12 that the toddler is expected to be OK. She said his parents were watching over him from his bedside.

The aunt says that the family did have working smoke detectors, but family members were unable to reach Chase due to overpowering smoke. His mother and three siblings were all able to escape the flames without injury.

Officials say that neighbors alerted rescuers upon arrival that a baby was inside the building.

"You hear that, and your adrenaline goes up even more," says Lt. Victor Milukas, one of the rescuers credited with saving Chase. "I mean every life is precious, but you know for a child you go above and beyond."

Milukas says he knew he couldn't wait for the fire to be extinguished. He went in and brought Chase outside where crews immediately started CPR.

Fire officials say that an air conditioner plugged into an extension cord started the accidental fire. They say that residents should plug large appliances directly into the wall.

Firefighters also say families should have working smoke detectors and make plans beforehand on how they will exit their homes during emergencies.