EAST NEW YORK - Multiple families were left homeless Monday evening after a three-alarm fire tore through a high-rise apartment building on Lincoln Avenue.

Neighbors say they saw smoke billowing from Linden Plaza and then heard a loud explosion. Some witnesses believe a propane tank left on the balcony of an apartment is to blame for sparking the flames.

Firefighters say the flames ignited on the bottom floor of the building, just above a supermarket on the ground floor. It took more than 100 firefighters to extinguish the fire, which damaged at least three apartments.

Three firefighters and two residents were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. Officials say members of the Red Cross were on hand to aid those displaced by the fire. Community members say they will raise money to help those made homeless by the destructive flames.