Fire destroys Headlines barbershop in Prospect Heights

Officials say problems with a water heater appear

Officials say problems with a water heater appear to have sparked the flames.

BROOKLYN - A fire broke out on Washington Avenue in Prospect Heights, completely destroying a local barbershop.

According to fire officials, the cause appears to be problems with a water heater at the shop, Headlines, but the investigation is ongoing.

The deputy chief says the flames were contained to the barbershop, but smoke traveled into a day care upstairs and a grocery store next door, forcing an evacuation. The day care was not open at the time.

Heathcliff Hernandez, owner of the shop, says he's heartbroken by the loss of his business, which has been open for about five years.

No injuries were reported.

 

More on this topic

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

1 Rangers riding 3-game winning steak into 2nd round of playoffs
2 VIDEO: Interview with Surflight Artistic Director Steve Steiner
3 Rangers riding 3-game winning steak into 2nd round of playoffs
The young and the old were encouraged to 4 Group holds shredding event to prevent identity theft
Mayor Bill de Blasio announced his executive budget 5 Mayor announces 2018 executive budget

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE