Fire leaves 2 firefighters hurt, 5 homes damaged

BROOKLYN - A three-alarm fire on Lafayette Avenue sent two firefighters to the hospital, damaged five homes and forced dozens of residents into the cold Wednesday morning.

Fire officials say a manhole problem may have sparked an electrical fire inside several homes along Lafayette Avenue. Con Edison workers were at the scene Wednesday, repairing the damaged manhole.

Shirley Robinson and other residents returned to the site of the blaze, wrapped in Red Cross blankets, to salvage whatever they could from their burnt out homes.

"Right now, it's not feeling too good because we're being sent to a hotel that's way out of the way," Robinson says.

The Red Cross will place all 28 displaced residents in temporary shelters.

News 12 Brooklyn has learned that one of the buildings that were damaged by the blaze is owned by Sen. Eric Adams, who said in a statement that he is relieved that every resident of his rental property escaped the flames unharmed.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Dozens of motorcycles lined a street in Greenpoint 1 Annual bike blessing held in Greenpoint
Here is the latest weather forecast in your 2 BK Morning WX
Environmentally conscious shoppers were in DUMBO Sunday for 3 DUMBO pop-up market features eco-friendly goods
Brooklyn residents are giving the new Kosciuszko Bridge 4 Drivers give new Kosciuszko Bridge mixed reviews
5 Neighborhood Brief for April 30

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE