BROOKLYN - A three-alarm fire on Lafayette Avenue sent two firefighters to the hospital, damaged five homes and forced dozens of residents into the cold Wednesday morning.

Fire officials say a manhole problem may have sparked an electrical fire inside several homes along Lafayette Avenue. Con Edison workers were at the scene Wednesday, repairing the damaged manhole.

Shirley Robinson and other residents returned to the site of the blaze, wrapped in Red Cross blankets, to salvage whatever they could from their burnt out homes.

"Right now, it's not feeling too good because we're being sent to a hotel that's way out of the way," Robinson says.

The Red Cross will place all 28 displaced residents in temporary shelters.

News 12 Brooklyn has learned that one of the buildings that were damaged by the blaze is owned by Sen. Eric Adams, who said in a statement that he is relieved that every resident of his rental property escaped the flames unharmed.