Fire officials: Bushwick blaze caused by a candle

Fire officials say the fatal Bushwick fire that killed a Guyanese immigrant and his 12-year-old nephew was caused by a candle.Sunday's blaze was reported shortly

BUSHWICK - Fire officials say the fatal Bushwick fire that killed a Guyanese immigrant and his 12-year-old nephew was caused by a candle.

Sunday's blaze was reported shortly after midnight. The fire killed Shawn Monderson, 33, and Cemioni Fraser. Relatives say the two moved into the apartment at 1214 Hancock St. just last week.

Investigators say the blaze tore through the second-floor apartment and quickly spread through the rest of the building and an adjacent house. Officials say that while the second-floor apartment had smoke detectors, there were no batteries in them.

Cemioni, Monderson's nephew, was living with his uncle because his mother had returned to Guyana.

"It's a family tradition that we look out for each other," Frederick Monderson, Shawn's uncle, told the Daily News. Shawn Monderson had recently become a U.S. citizen, according to his uncle.

Bushwick blaze claims 2 lives

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

VIDEO: March to help seniors apply to college 1 VIDEO: March to help seniors apply to college
Brooklyn Weekend Travel Advisory, Dec. 10-11 2 Brooklyn Weekend Travel Advisory, Dec. 10-11
3 VIDEO: Interview with friend of East NY throat slashing victim
Check out these animals up for adoption. 4 Furry Friends for 12/9 - Animals for Adoption
Some flavors offered were strawberry and tamarind. 5 Parade participants partake in snow cones

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Furry Friends is a weekly segment on News Furry Friends

Furry Friends is a weekly segment on News 12 Brooklyn nightside.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE