BROOKYN - A fire destroyed a home in Borough Park Thursday morning, officials say.

Firefighters arrived at the scene of the blaze at 800 East 8th St. at around 6 a.m. It took them close to an hour to get the flames under control.

Zubai Azim, who lives in a second-floor apartment, escaped the fire and helped his neighbors get out. All tenants were unharmed.

"I had just come down and [saw] all the flames inside, so I came in and started picking up all the kids from inside," Azim says.

According to a tenant, an unattended space heater that was left too close to a wooden bed on the first floor of the building might have sparked the blaze. Officials, however, have not confirmed this theory.