Fire tears through Marine Park apartment

A Brooklyn family was left homeless after a fire ripped through their Marine Park apartment Friday afternoon.According to Fire Chief Stephen Turnlud, the blaze started

MARINE PARK - A Brooklyn family was left homeless after a fire ripped through their Marine Park apartment Friday afternoon.

According to Fire Chief Stephen Turnlud, the blaze started inside the front bedroom of a second-floor apartment at 3936 Flatlands Ave. because of a space heater that was plugged into a faulty extension cord.

Timothy Chancy, who lived in the apartment with his mother, says the woman barely escaped from the fire alive.

?She was about to go to sleep, and she went in the kitchen and got back,? Chancy says. ?She said she saw a fire on the left side of the bed.?

Although the Chancys are unable return to their home, which was ravaged by flames, they remain optimistic and grateful that no one was injured.

?It's Christmas season, you still got to keep the spirit and just hope for the better,? Chancy says.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

They say the speculators are buying homes and 1 Activists rally against gentrification in Cypress Hills, East NY
VIDEO: March to help seniors apply to college 2 VIDEO: March to help seniors apply to college
News 12 viewers discuss the widow of DA 3 The Buzz: Colon cancer
A Bronx-based artist has opened a cash-optional, pop-up 4 Artist opens up cash-optional coffee shop in Williamsburg
Click PLAY for the latest weather forecast. 5 Brooklyn Weather Forecast

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Furry Friends is a weekly segment on News Furry Friends

Furry Friends is a weekly segment on News 12 Brooklyn nightside.

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE