Fire tears through Ocean Avenue building

BROOKLYN - A Flatbush apartment building was ravaged by fire early Wednesday morning, leaving one man in critical condition and 10 others with minor injuries.

The fire tore through the apartment complex on Ocean Avenue at around 2 a.m., forcing tenants into the cold.

Fire officials say the blaze was caused by a space heater that was left too close to the bed. Firefighters rescued a man from the room where the fire originated, and he was rushed to the hospital in critical condition. Witnesses say the man was severely burned.

One family that was left homeless as a result of the blaze is being assisted by the Red Cross. The organization put the family in a hotel for two nights.

FDNY officials say heating equipment is the leading cause of home fires during the winter months. They remind people to keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from anything flammable and turn them off when leaving the room or going to bed.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

1 Neighborhood Brief for April 23
Police say they're investigating after a body was 2 Police: Man found dead inside vehicle
Police are searching for the suspect who they 3 Police search for suspect in string of burglaries
One person was injured and traffic was backed 4 1 injured in fiery crash along BQE near Union Street and Hamilton Ave.
Hundreds of New Yorkers gathered Saturday for the 5 New Yorkers get spicy at 5th annual Hot Sauce Expo

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE