FLATBUSH - The Department of Education (DOE) has admitted that faulty wiring is to blame for the death of a student at a Flatbush school Wednesday.Still in shock over his tragic death, friends of 17-year-old Luis Rivera gathered Thursday at Public School 217. They say Rivera was trying to jump a fence at the school after playing basketball when he was electrocuted. Rivera?s friends say he accidentally hit a nearby light fixture, which the city confirms was poorly wired and full of live current.

Classmates describe the senior as a good football player who enjoyed the game of basketball more. One friend says Rivera taught younger children how to play. Neighbors feel the accident could have been avoided if the playground fence, which is locked at night, was left open to the community.Related Information