Gas leak causes fire in Brownsville high rise

Fire officials say a gas leak triggered a fire in Brownsville Wednesday, destroying apartments in the Van Dyke housing complex and injuring five people.Many tenants

BROWNSVILLE - Fire officials say a gas leak triggered a fire in Brownsville Wednesday, destroying apartments in the Van Dyke housing complex and injuring five people.

Many tenants were inconvenienced for hours as firefighters worked to contain the blaze that ripped through 393 Dumont Ave. According to Deputy Chief Jay Jonas, a gas emergency caused an explosion in one of the apartments, which started the fire.

Witnesses say the explosion was so strong that windows were blown out across the street. At least five people were injured and taken to the hospital, some with burns.

At least three families were displaced as a result of the fire, but the New York City Housing Authority is working to relocate them to vacant apartments within the Van Dyke houses.

Officials say power was cut for dozens of apartments in the aftermath of the fire and will remain off until housing officials can secure the scene.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

News 12's Lily Stolzberg finds out what men 1 On the Spot: Beauty Products
Neighborhood Brief for March 26 2 Neighborhood Brief for March 26
Police say two black men in their 20s 3 10-year-old thwarts Canarsie home invasion
As News 12 has reported, Haste shot and 4 Officer quits to avoid firing after shooting of unarmed teen
The New York City Transit Museum welcomed kids 5 NYC Transit Museum welcomes kids with special needs

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE