Gas leak prompts evacuation of Borough Park Yeshiva school

A gas leak and fire caused the evacuation of United Talmudic Academy in Borough Park Monday. Fire officials say an underground transformer across the street

BOROUGH PARK - A gas leak and fire caused the evacuation of United Talmudic Academy in Borough Park Monday.

Fire officials say an underground transformer across the street from the school caught fire. They say carbon monoxide seeped into the basement around 11:30 a.m., when a janitor first realized something was wrong. According to fire officials, the transformer likely caught fire because of the age of the wires and long-term use. Approximately 1,200 students were evacuated and went home.

There were no reported injuries from either the fire or gas leak. School administrators say they hope to resume classes as soon as possible.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Animal rights activists continued to protest outside the 1 Protesters gather outside Ringling Bros. Circus
The We Are the Resistance fundraiser allowed artists 2 Fundraiser highlights works of female 'resistance' artists
The victims, both males, are 15 and 18 3 The Buzz: East 55th Street shooting
The Brooklyn Public Library in Flatbush hosted an 4 Flatbush library hosts Motown karaoke event
Shirley Annita Chisholm was the African-American Congresswoman from 5 Black History Month: Shirley Anita Chisholm

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE