Interfaith Med. Center: Smoker caused psych ward fire

BROOKLYN - There are "no smoking" signs clearly posted in and around Interfaith Medical Center, but the fire department says someone who was smoking caused a January fire in the facility's psychiatric ward.

The fire broke out on the eighth floor of the facility and caused an evacuation of staff and patients. According to hospital officials, the fire caused more than $1 million worth of damages and a backup of the mental health system in Brooklyn. Officials say since the mental health unit was closed for two weeks, they haven't been able to accept any new patients.

The hospital is ready to reopen, but the state Department of Health must first give its approval. The Department of Health is expected to inspect the psychiatric unit next week.

Fireat Interfaith Medical Center evacuates psych. ward

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Residents are concerned about the safety of items 1 The Buzz: Safety concerns in wake of 8-year-old boy's death
Police say Michael Bantel was drunk when his 2 Massapequa man faces DWI charges in fatal crash
News 12 asked viewers what they thought about 3 Hudson Valley Talks Trump: First 100 days
In honor of National Superhero Day, News 12 4 Word on the Street: Superheroes
Kevin Reilly, 8, died after a heavy planter 5 Vigil remembers 8-year-old killed by fallen planter box

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE