BROOKLYN - The owner of a DUMBO restaurant that closed suddenly last week is now facing some serious charges.
Jason Stevens, the owner of reBar on Front and Jay streets, was arraigned today on charges of second-degree grand larceny and tax fraud. He was able to make $30,000 bail last Friday.
Stevens sent out a brief email to employees last week and posted a sign on the restaurant's front door reading "reBar is bankrupt and closed." No one was able to get a hold of him after that, and many customers who booked weddings there are now left scrambling.
READ MORE: Brooklyn Crime Stories
News 12 spoke with a bride-to-be who says she is out close to $15,000 and has to re-plan her wedding, which is just under a month away. While she says she is relieved that the owner has been charged, she still doubts that she or anyone else will get their money back.
The woman says about 140 couples with weddings planned at reBar have banded together on Facebook and found that all the money lost adds up to nearly $500,000. Members of that group are reportedly also considering a class action lawsuit.