Judge postpones Brooklyn, city school cell phone ban lawsuit

BROOKLYN - A Manhattan judge ruled Saturday to postpone the cell phone ban lawsuit that was filed by parents in Brooklyn and citywide last year.

Parents filed the lawsuit against the city because they felt the school cell phone ban was unconstitutional. The Department of Education, however, says it is committed to the cell phone initiative but is exploring a new plan. The city is looking at an option for students to store their cell phones in coin-operated lockers during school hours. The DOE is looking for vendors to provide such a service off of school property.

Meanwhile, the judge handling the lawsuit said the case is on hold until January 18.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

A fast-moving fire killed five people, including three 1 3 children among victims in New York City house fire
The New York City nonprofit Guardian Angels stepped 2 Guardian Angels increase patrols in Coney Island
3 Neighborhood Brief for April 23
Fashion, Art, & Design held their seasonal pop-up 4 Pop-up marketplace features goods, art made in BK
Suffolk fire officials say a house was gutted 5 House gutted by overnight fire in Oakdale

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE