BROOKLYN - A Kensington woman is relying on the kindness of her neighbors after flames ripped through her Kermit Place home on Monday.

Isabelle Lam said she woke up to her neighbor banging on the door and telling her the house was on fire a little after 7 a.m.

Lam said she ran out the front door and within seconds, flames ripped through the front of the house. She called 911, and when firefighters arrived, they say heavy flames and smoke could be seen about three blocks away.

Neighbors on both sides of the home were evacuated.

After leaving her home, Lam realized she wasn't sure if her 24-year-old cat, Louisa, was still inside the house.

"It kind of dawned on me I better check, so I asked one of the firemen to get my cat out and they went inside and after a little bit they brought her out, and I asked where was, and they said she was in the house," she said.

Three firefighters had minor injuries as a result of the fire.

Crews are still investigating, but believe a candle that Lam had as a memorial for her dog who passed away in February may have sparked the flames.

She doesn't know where she will stay, but all her neighbors have offered to take her and her cat in.