Malcolm X assassin is freed on parole in NYC

NEW YORK - (AP) - The only man to admit shooting Malcolm X hasbeen freed on parole, 45 years after he helped assassinate thecivil rights leader in New York City.

State Department of Correctional Services spokeswoman LindaFoglia says Thomas Hagan was freed Tuesday.

He had spent two days a week at a Manhattan prison under awork-release program.

The 69-year-old Hagan was the last man still serving time in the1965 killing. He and two others were convicted of murder.

Hagan says he was one of three gunmen who shot Malcolm X atHarlem's Audubon Ballroom. But he says the two men who wereconvicted with him were not involved. They maintained theirinnocence and were paroled in the 1980s.

Hagan has repeatedly expressed regret.

He applied for parole 16 times before a board approved hisrequest last month.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Police say they're investigating after a body was 1 Police: Man found dead inside vehicle
VIDEO: Suspected gang members arrested in the Bronx 2 VIDEO: Suspected gang members arrested in the Bronx
New Yorkers pass a shattered storefront window on 3 Bomb suspect vowed 'death to your oppression,' feds say
Parents are concerned after reports of dangerous levels 4 The Buzz: Lead in school
Teens, parents and community organizations marched from the 5 Organizers march to bring awareness to teen dating violence

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE