BROOKLYN - Dozens of homes in Bay Ridge were left in the dark Wednesday after an underground fire caused a power outage.
The fire broke out inside a manhole on 76th Street early in the morning, knocking out electricity to 61 houses on one block.
Workers who arrived on the scene say the blaze was likely sparked by salt used on the roadways seeping into the cable lines underground. A spokesperson for Con Edison says it is a common problem during snow season.
Power has since been restored to most affected homes.