BROOKLYN - The power is back on at 88 apartments at Unity Plaza in East New York tonight, but tenants there woke up to a frightening situation this morning.

Residents at 560 Blake Ave. say they heard a loud boom sound and saw their lights flicker. The building was evacuated as crews investigated.

A Con Edison spokesperson says underground electrical cables failed, causing smoke to spew from a manhole. Carbon monoxide levels rose in the building's basement, and the power was shut off for several hours. No one was injured.

Tenants tell News 12 that they have previously smelled gas in their building and have complained to the New York City Housing Authority about the issue.