Mayor de Blasio, Cardinal Dolan announce new initiative addressing homelessness

Mayor Bill de Blasio and Cardinal Timothy Dolan held a press conference Wednesday in the Bronx announcing a new initiative the city is taking to address homelessness.

Mayor Bill de Blasio and Cardinal Timothy Dolan held a press conference Wednesday in the Bronx announcing a new initiative the city is taking to address homelessness. (9/23/15)

NEW YORK - Mayor Bill de Blasio and Cardinal Timothy Dolan announced in the Bronx Wednesday a new city initiative to address homelessness.

The two said they are forming a partnership amid the pope's U.S. visit and are taking his advice.

"We have to honor Pope Francis, we have to heed the call," de Blasio said. "He's asking all of us, it doesn't matter what you are, doesn't matter what country you live in, he's asking all of us to do more to help those in need." 

The mayor says the city will work with the Catholic church and provide up to 150 beds throughout New York, with an overall goal of 500 beds. So far, 300 beds have been pledged by religious officials, and the 150 pledged by the archdiocese are expected to be available by this winter.

De Blasio said that their safe haven approach will provide smaller, more intimate settings that will hopefully draw more people off the streets.

The safe haven approach also serves as another option to larger shelters, which in some cases are not comfortable for those struggling with mental illness or substance abuse issues. 

The city will also provide occupants with in-house access to social services and counseling.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

The victim, a man in his 20s, was 1 Man shot in head during Williamsburg drive-by shooting
Three of the five children of slain first 2 Children of slain first responder announce Jets draft pick
More than 200 Brooklyn residents received a goody 3 Expecting moms attend massive baby shower in E. Flatbush
Police say the victim sustained multiple lacerations and 4 Police release sketch of man found dead in Massapequa Preserve
More than 2,000 people took part in the 5 Thousands attend NYPD Cares 5K for kids with disabilities

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE