Mom mad after 6-year-old taped up at Red Hook school

RED HOOK - A mother is warning parents about the dangers of mixing older and younger students after her son was attacked at a Red Hook school.

Rose Quintana is in the process of transferring her 6-year-old son, Aaron, out of P.S. 27 where she said a 14-year-old taped him up and slammed him into a stairwell on Oct. 12.Aaron has been home schooled since then, but hopes to be in his new school soon. "I don't want it to happen to anybody else," he said. "I want to warn the school too."Quintana said she was concerned when the Department of Education decided to have the school include kindergarten through 12th grade. "I knew something like this was going to happen, but I never knew it would be my son."

The DOE said the 14-year-old who was responsible has been suspended for bullying, intimidation and harassment. However, education officials dispute any tape was used.

The department defends the change to the school, saying it allows area high school students to remain close to home. The transition is expected to be complete by 2009.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Residents are concerned about the safety of items 1 The Buzz: Safety concerns in wake of 8-year-old boy's death
Kevin Reilly, 8, died after a heavy planter 2 Vigil remembers 8-year-old killed by fallen planter box
A kid from the Bronx is one of 3 Actor from the Bronx stars in '13 Reasons Why'
In honor of National Superhero Day, News 12 4 Word on the Street: Superheroes
There will be a few road closures over 5 Weekend travel advisory, April 28-30

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE