Mother dies in Flatbush fire started by toddler

FLATBUSH - A mother died Saturday after officials say her toddler played with matches, starting a blaze in the family's Flatbush apartment.

Fire officials say the fire started on a mattress in the top floor of the Albemarle Road apartment building around 11:30 p.m. Friday. Firefighters say a 14-year-old boy was forced to jump out of a sixth-story window to escape the flames. He then told firefighters his mother and others were still in the burning building. The victims were taken to the hospital, some with severe burns, according to firefighters. Sandra Stephens, 45, died at Cornell Medical Center.

Officials are still investigating the fire.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

The New York City nonprofit Guardian Angels stepped 1 Guardian Angels increase patrols in Coney Island
2 Neighborhood Brief for April 23
A fast-moving fire killed five people, including three 3 3 children among victims in New York City house fire
Fashion, Art, & Design held their seasonal pop-up 4 Pop-up marketplace features goods, art made in BK
A popular roller skating rink in Borough Park 5 Borough Park roller skating rink set to close

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE