WILLIAMSBURG - The family of a 7-year-old girl who died after choking in school accused the staff at P.S. 250 in Williamsburg of negligence at a news conference Tuesday.
Noelia Echavarria began choking at the Montrose Avenue school during lunchtime in November, according to the family. She was eating a sandwich.
She died several days later.
The family says the school failed to provide basic responses like the Heimlich maneuver and CPR. The family says it came to this conclusion after receiving an anonymous letter, purportedly from a school employee, that says school staff members are not properly trained to administer such treatments.
The letter also claims that the company hired by the Department of Education to train staff at the school, Emergency Skills Inc., gave out certifications to staff members who never showed up for training.
The family says these allegations lay the blame for the girl's death on the school.
In October, the Department of Education said the staff was properly trained and did try to save the girl's life. The DOE would not offer a follow-up statement and now says the city's lawyers are handling the case.
The family's lawyer says the Echavarrias will sue the city and Emergency Skills Inc.
News 12 reached out to the company for comment, but it did not immediately respond.