BEDFORD-STUYVESANT - Officials are blaming faulty wiring for a fire that damaged a Bed-Stuy church Wednesday.

The Mount Sinai Baptist Church on Gates Avenue caught fire around 1:30 a.m. in the entrance to its fellowship hall, they say.

The church has been at the location for 65 years, but has existed for at least 90 years.

The Rev. Curtis Whitney says it's a great loss for the community.

"We will bounce back, and I feel that there will be some good that comes out of this tragedy," he says.

The church works with the community supplying food at pantries and soup kitchens and had been scheduled to host an HIV awareness and screening event Thursday. 

Officials say no one was in the building during the fire.