State Dept. of Education to overhaul teacher evaluations

Starting next school year, the way New York City evaluates its public school teachers will be undergoing an overhaul. The state's education commissioner says the

The state's education commissioner says the new system will make it easier to weed out bad teachers and help struggling educators improve.

The state's education commissioner says the new system will make it easier to weed out bad teachers and help struggling educators improve. (6/2/13)

BROOKLYN - Starting next school year, the way New York City evaluates its public school teachers will be undergoing an overhaul.

New York's Department of Education has replaced its teacher evaluation system with a more in-depth evaluation. The new evaluation rates teachers as highly effective, effective, developing, or ineffective.

Teachers' grades will be 40 percent based on the student performance of a teacher's classroom, including the results of state exams and tests administered by the school. The remaining 60 percent will be calculated based on in-class observations by the school's principal.

The state's education commissioner says the new system will make it easier to weed out bad teachers and help struggling educators improve.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

A man has been hospitalized after a shooting 1 Police: Man hospitalized after shooting on Nostrand Avenue
Two teens attempting to jump from one rooftop 2 Teen dies trying to jump between rooftops
Bay Ridge held its annual St. Patrick's Day 3 Bay Ridge holds annual St. Patrick's Day parade
Neighborhood Brief for March 26 4 Neighborhood Brief for March 26
News 12's Dan Serafin visited Lincoln High School 5 Lincoln H.S. alumnus plays in Sweet 16 of NCAA Tourney

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE