Teens express outrage over mass arrests last May

BROOKLYN - Brooklyn students rallied outside police headquarters Saturday to express outrage over the 2007 arrest of 32 teens.

Charges have been dropped against 22 of the teens charged with disorderly conduct on their way to a Coney Island wake last May. While most of the teens will walk away with clean records, four are still left facing trials.

Protestors at the rally say if one of the teens was innocent, then they all are.

The arrests were made prior to a memorial for shooting victim Donnell McFarland. Police had said they received numerous complaints about possible gang activity. They also said the teens were taking up the entire sidewalk and walking on top of parked cars.

The teens, however, claim they were victims of racial bias. They told News 12 Brooklyn last year that they just wanted to remember a friend and that they had passes releasing them from school.

Rally organizers expressed hope that dialogue with police can be improved. The students say they feel like they are continually targeted because they are young minorities in a low-income area.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

At least six people have been arrested and 1 Six arrested, 4 more sought in Coney Island gang assault video
A falling concrete planter struck and killed an 2 Child dies after being hit in head by concrete planter
Police say on Thursday, Kevin Reilly climbed up 3 8-year-old dead after planter falls on him in Marine Park
Residents are concerned about the safety of items 4 The Buzz: Safety concerns in wake of 8-year-old boy's death
There will be a few road closures over 5 Weekend travel advisory, April 28-30

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE