White House confirms death of al-Qaida No. 2

WASHINGTON - (AP) - The White House is confirming the death of al-Qaida's second-in-command, calling it a "major blow" to the terror network.

White House spokesman Jay Carney would not confirm how Abu Yahya al-Libi was killed. An American official says he was killed in a U.S. drone strike.

Carney described al-Libi as an operational leader and a "general manager" of al-Qaida. He says al-Libi had a range of experience that will be hard for al-Qaida to replicate and brings the terror network closer to its ultimate demise than ever before.

Al-Libi is the latest in the dozen-plus senior commanders removed in the clandestine U.S. war against al-Qaida since Navy SEALs killed Osama bin Laden last year.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Aziz Chirkeev, 20, was last seen April 3 1 Brighton Beach man missing for nearly two weeks
News 12 talks to viewers about how dating 2 Word on the Street: Dating apps and self-esteem
3 VIDEO: News conference from Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office
News 12 Long Island's Doug Geed takes a 4 Tasty Tuesday: Fresh spring ingredients
Actress Andrea Martin speaks to News 12's Elisa 5 Interview: Andrea Martin

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE