FLATLANDS - A young child has died after a fire ripped through a two-family home in Flatlands early this morning.

The blaze broke out just before 6 a.m. at 2051 East 57th St. off Avenue U. It started on the first floor of the home. Fire officials say there was no smoke detector and the door had a double-bolt lock, which they say made it harder to open.

A neighbor, who says she worked at P.S. 236 where the boy attended school, says he was living in the home with his sister, grandmother and uncle. Another neighbor said she heard the boy and his sister screaming when the fire broke out.

Fire officials say the operation went smoothly, but neighbors say they wonder whether the slick and slushy roads slowed the response time.